Poke-Walker

Thursday 21 July 2011

In Praise of Team Rocket

While I hate to endorse thuggery of any kind, I like my queens flaming, my tea hot and my thugs thuggy. As such, I would like to praise Team Rocket for one moment.

Ever since the trainer population became acquainted with Team Rocket in Mount Moon (you'll recall that they were trying to mug off some nerd and his fossils) it has been clear that Team Rocket have never been anything but thieves. Their aim is simple; steal powerful or rare Pokemon, gain power & fortune. A simple and realistic aim for a criminal organisation, carried out with clear efficiencey - here is the thing we want, let us take by force.

Fighting off Team Rocket again in Pokemon Fire Red is a refreshing experience. I'm tired of having to consider my stance when fighting criminals and terrorists, as I have had to do in all other Pokemon games. Team Magma & Aqua debating the benefits of the ocean and land and what good we humans really are. Team Plasma, an ideological group who forced me to question the very idea of capturing Pokemon and thus, whether or not I could really be allowed to play the game at all. It annoys me because it forced me out of the role of travelling Pokemon Trainer, who accidentally stumbled upon bullying and criminality [in the guise of Team Rocket] and instead forced me into the role of concerned campaigner. As a voiceless protagonist, I can't help but feel that words have been put in my mouth:

N: I don't believe Pokemon should be ruled by humans, blah blah blah - SO! I see you disagree! What's that? You say Pokemon and people are partners?
My Own Voiceless Thoughts: No, I didn't say anything, I just want to leave, where are the police?
N: Fine then! We shall battle to see who is right!
My Own Voiceless Thoughts: No, go away.
*battle music*

At least with Team Rocket, life was simple. I've stummbled upon a crime! They're dicking on this guy - I can't just stand by and ignore that, go Side-Kick [Primeape]Bring back Team Rocket. And a police force. I'm just a person, not a super-hero!

P.S. Looks like Team Rocket are blasting off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment